Position: Law clerk
Status: Temporary; both fall and spring semester positions available
Reports to: Executive director of Fix the Court
Fix the Court seeks law clerk(s) – i.e., current law students able to work ~20 hours per week – to support the organization’s work advocating for greater transparency and accountability at the U.S. Supreme Court and other federal courts.
We are committed to fostering a culture of inclusion and encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply. We especially encourage applications from women and people of color who are excited about contributing to our mission.
A flexible personality, sense of humor and positive attitude are important. Please don’t have a history of embarrassing tweets.
Essential responsibilities and tasks
• Conducting legal research on topics of interest to the organization and presenting findings of this research in the form of concise written work products. For examples of Fix the Court’s research, please visit this page
• Assisting in the strategy and implementation of legal challenges like this and this related to Fix the Court’s work and mission
• Organizing and analyzing government documents received via public records requests for relevance to Fix the Court’s campaigns
• Identifying an analyzing cases currently working their way through federal court that are in some way related to Fix the Court’s mission (cf., the cases mentioned here)
• Identifying cases in circuit courts ripe for live audio and video requests (cf. this sheet) and identifying local stakeholders like this to help make those requests
• Other duties as assigned
Required education, experience, knowledge, skills and abilities
• Bachelor’s degree required and must be a current law student
• One to two years of experience in advocacy, research and/or government is encouraged. This could include political advocacy, campaign or public policy research and/or experience on Capitol Hill
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills
• Smart political judgment and a discerning eye
• Ability to work quickly and independently and to juggle competing priorities and strict deadlines
• Proven track record for being a self-starter
• Attention to detail
How to apply
Please email cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Law clerk” in the subject line.