Position: Researcher and/or comms staff
Location: New York, N.Y., or Washington, D.C.
Reports to: Executive Director of Fix the Court
Fix the Court is a nonpartisan organization that advocates for greater transparency and accountability in the federal courts system, primarily in the U.S. Supreme Court.
Fix the Court seeks a senior researcher / communications staffer to lead its work pushing the courts in a more open and honest direction by uncovering and publicizing instances in which the federal courts and its jurists are missing the mark ethically and by identifying best practices in other courts that ours should adopt, either via Chief Justice Roberts directive or federal legislation. For the type of research we conduct, please view this page.
This position will be based in New York or Washington, D.C. A flexible personality, sense of humor and positive attitude are essential. (Please don’t have any embarrassing tweets.)
Essential responsibilities and tasks:
• Conducting news, internet and database research; submitting FOIA requests; and collecting and reviewing public records on issues of importance to the organization
• Analyzing research findings for relevance to the organization’s campaigns
• Presenting research in written and verbal form, including writing reports and presenting findings to staff
• Tracking legislative activity relevant to the organization’s campaigns
• Drafting and fact-checking press products (releases, fact sheets, ed board memos etc.)
Required education, experience, knowledge, skills and abilities:
• Bachelor’s degree is required
• Law degree is a plus, but not required
• At least three years of experience in advocacy, research, journalism and/or government is required
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Smart political judgment and a discerning eye
• Ability to work quickly and independently and to juggle competing priorities and strict deadlines
• Proven track record for being a self-starter
• Attention to detail
• Passionate about government transparency
How to apply:
Please email cover letter and resume to Info@FixTheCourt.com with “Job applicant” in the subject line.